The Exterior Sculpture:
"A Free & Enlightened Press [is the] Surest Guarantor of Liberty"
This sculpture was created with WPA funds by Louise Utter who also contributed to the design and creation of the Knight Library heads during the same time period. It was positioned over the south entrance of the 1923 Journalism Building. Following the construction of the "new " Allen Hall in 2013, the sculpture now appears on the interior wall of the atrium, above the 3rd floor entrance to the original building.